Each bite is a testament to the artistry of braising, delivering unmatched tenderness and flavor that will leave you craving more. Elevate your dining occasions and savor the extraordinary. Braising consists of cooking both by searing and cooking in liquid to ensure a breadth of savoury flavour.
Cooking Directions (Suggested):
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Trim fat caps from ribs if any. Score the underside of ribs to allow flavours into membrane area.
- Cut ribs into individual short ribs, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan at medium-high heat, and toast any mixture of seasonings you're planning to cook with ribs (ginger, anise, chilies, garlic, lemongrass, and cinnamon is a good mixture), ensuring no more than a little char. Remove all spices from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown the ribs on every side, ensuring consistency across entire rib. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Add seasoned liquid of choice to pan (we like a combo of: brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin, wine, scallions, and water), with the previously toasted spices and bring to a boil.
- Put the ribs back into the pan on their sides. The liquid should not be more than halfway up the ribs. Cook them for 10 mins like this.
- Cover the pan with foil, crimping the edges to seal it as well as you can, and place in oven for approximately 2 hours (depending on size). Flip ribs once during cooking.
- Verify an internal temperature of 203°F (95°C), and serve on a bed of rice or veggies, using additional liquid spooned on top.
H.O.P.E. Eco-Farms (Aylmer, ON)