Roasted Delicata Squash Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 delicata squash, halved lengthwise and seeded, sliced into ½-inch segments
- 1 small red onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- about 6 leaves of lacinato kale, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked farro* (see note)
- 1 gala apple, diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pepitas
maple tahini sauce:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons warm water, more as needed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Assemble the delicata squash, red onion and garlic cloves (still in their paper) on one sheet and the chickpeas on the other. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and several pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
2) Make the tahini sauce: In a small bowl, combine the tahini, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, water and pinches of salt and pepper and stir. If the sauce is too thick, stir in more water until it is a drizzable consistency. If it’s too thin, let it sit for several minutes to thicken.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine the ½ tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Peel the roasted garlic cloves and smush the softened garlic into the olive oil mixture. Add the kale and gently massage it until it’s lightly wilted and tender. Stir in the farro and a generous drizzle of the tahini sauce. Add the roasted delicata squash, red onions, chickpeas, apple, cranberries and pepitas. Season to taste and add more dressing, if desired.