Arugula & Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
- 5 ounces (about 5 packed cups) arugula, washed and dried
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline or thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pecorino, to serve
Combine the arugula and shaved fennel in a serving bowl. Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a jam jar or other small container with a lid. Shake the dressing until smooth and cream. Dip a leaf of arugula into the dressing and taste; adjust any of the dressing ingredients to taste. Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Add more dressing a little bit at a time until you have dressed the salad sufficiently to your liking.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave a few slices of pecorino over the top of the salad. Serve immediately.