The Community Food Box Project and 1% For The Community
What is The Community Food Box Project?
The Community Food Box Project is a collaboration with LIFE*SPIN that allows us to deliver free boxes of healthy fruits and vegetables to those who need it.
Here at On The Move Organics, we believe good food is at the heart of community. But what happens when families within a community don’t have safe, dependable access to food? Right from our origin in 2008, we’ve worked hard to increase local food access by connecting our communities to a network of sustainable farmers and food producers. We’re proud of the relationships we’ve created and grown within this local food system, but we know that many families continue to experience food insecurity. With this in mind, we collaborated with LIFE*SPIN to create The Community Food Box Project. Through the project, we deliver healthy nutrient packed fresh fruit and vegetables to folks who may not always have the means to access it.
The Community Food Box Project has a dual mission:
- Increase Food Access: We safely deliver healthy food to those who need it.
- Empower Communities: We strive to empower food-secure communities rooted in a resilient local food system.
1% for The Community:
We’re excited to announce that beginning March 2021, 1% of all of our sales in 2021 at On The Move Organics will be donated directly to LIFE*SPIN to help fund The Community Food Box Project! That means that when you shop with us, you’re helping support food security in your community.
How to Support: FOUR Ways to Help!
- Are you a regular On The Move Organics customer? Just carry on as you are! Through our 1% For The Community Initiative, 1% of all our sales directly fund The Community Food Box Project. Simple as that!
- Are you a regular On The Move Organics customer, and want to make a donation directly to the project? We’ve added an option to Add a Donation to your order (you choose the amount that you want to add and it will go directly to LIFE*SPIN to fund the program).
- Looking for other ways to support? You can purchase a Donation of a Community Food Box through our online store and within 2 weeks, we’ll deliver a Community Food Box to a London family in LIFE*SPIN’s program (please note that this is a donation of a box, not a way to purchase a box for yourself).
- Donate directly to LIFE*SPIN. If you need a donation tax credit for supporting the project, it is best to donate to LIFE*SPIN through their donation portal. Simply follow this link to LIFE*SPIN's Donation Portal, choose your donation amount, and in the dropdown menu titled "Apply your donation to a fund set up by this charity" select "Covid-19 Community Food Box Program".
How to Access a Community Food Box for Your Family:
To apply to receive a box of healthy nutrient packed fresh fruit and vegetables through The Community Food Box Project, you can do so through LIFE*SPIN's application webpage.
Curious about what a Community Food Box contains? The contents change box to box and season to season, but we always aim to include a minimum of 30% local food and 30% organic food. In season, we far surpass these targets, and out of season we may fall a little short at times. Averaged out over the year, we are proud of the unprecedented volume of local and organic products that our program provides! We include conventional produce along with local & organic in order to ensure we’re delivering an abundant amount of nutrient packed fresh fruit and vegetables. Here’s a box we delivered in December 2020:
- 2 lbs carrots (local, organic)
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (local, organic)
- 1 pie pumpkin (local)
- 1 buttercup squash (local)
- half a green cabbage (local, organic)
- 1 pkg cranberries (local, organic)
- .25 lb garlic (local, organic)
- .5 lb cremini mushrooms (local, organic)
- 3 lbs apples (local)
- 1 lb parsnips (local)
- 1 turnip (local)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (local)
- 4 oranges
- 4 plums or nectarines
- 2 lemons
- 2 lbs potatoes (local)
The Roots of The Community Food Box Project:
When the COVID-19 pandemic began, one of our first concerns was about food supply and access for the community - especially for those who already experience barriers. We know how crises can impact the availability and cost of food, not to mention compounding pre-existing barriers to food access. So, we put our heads together with LIFE*SPIN and envisioned The Community Food Box Project - a model to deliver boxes of fresh healthy produce to families who need it. In the first year of the project (March 2020-March 2021), we delivered a total of 1345 Community Food Project Boxes to provide enough fresh produce for 21,520 meals for Londoners. While this started out as a temporary program to help combat pandemic-related food insecurity, as of March 2021 we’ve decided to run this as an ongoing project funded through our 1% For The Community donations along with support from our community and partners!